Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Canning Tomatoes....FAIL AGAIN

Second try, still getting lots of tomatoes.  I followed all the rules.this time.  I even invested in a $6 canning kit that includes a proper jar holder (no boiling water down my arm this time), a magnetic stick to pull out the lids, a funnel, and a little tool to get rid of the air bubbles after the jars are filled.  I boiled the clean jars, boiled the lids and rims for 10 minutes.  I dunked the tomatoes in boiling water and skinned them. Then I put them in the blender because the plan was to can tomato puree.  Sweet Potato will eat tomato sauce, but she, like a lot of 11-year-olds, is finicky.  It has to be smooth,  not chunky.  No tomato chunks or onion chunks.  So, I usually start with tomato puree when I make my tomato sauce for pasta, pizza, etc.  I poured the tomato puree in to the cleaned sterilized jars, placed the lids and rims on them and submerged them into a pot of boiling water for 45 minutes.  I pulled them out with my new jar holder, and they looked good.  I let them sit for 24 hours, came back and now I'm not so sure.  The tomatoes have a lot of liquid and the liquid separated out.  I don't know.  I could be wrong, but they look like cans of botulism to me.  They aren't pretty at all, and although they may not be poisonous, they aren't something I would ever take as a hostess gift.  Will try again.
A Can of Botulism?

2 comments:

  1. Do NOT use that. You are correct; it looks like that because there was bacteria in the jar, and it is not edible. Tomatoes are sometimes tricky to preserve. If you are a beginner, try some vegetables that require a brine (like pickles). They are delicious when home-made, and all that vinegar makes it pretty hard to end up with "a can of botulism."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your concern, but they were fine. The liquid separates from the tomatoes giving them that appearance.

    ReplyDelete