Monday, May 14, 2012

Repurposing: Vintage Apron Curtains

Here's another decorating idea.  I am a collector...(just this side of a hoarder).  I collect vintage papers, vintage clothes/hats/purses/shoes/sunglasses, vintage clocks, old teapots, colored glass bottles, maps, vintage salt and pepper shakers, and Fiestaware, among other things.  We also unwittingly collect snow globes.  My sister travels all over the world for her job, and when Sweet Potato was about two (and a very verbal two-year-old she was), my sister took a trip to London and sent us a snow globe from there.  "Cute," I thought.  Then my sister took a trip to India and sent us another snow globe from India (is it snowing often, at the Taj Mahal?)  I laughed aloud when we opened it.  "What is it?" asked Sweet Potato.  "Well," I answered her, "apparently your Aunt Julia thinks we collect snow globes."  The very next time my sister flew to Houston for a visit we picked her up at the airport.  The first thing out of Sweet Potato's mouth was "We do not collect snow globes!"  My sister took that as some sort of challenge.  "You wanna bet?" she said.  Hence, the snow globe collection on the bar just beneath the Velvet Elvis.  Of course when you have lovely, or in this case, interesting collections the challenge becomes how to use and display these items.  For a long time my  vintage apron collection sat in a drawer and I would pull one out now and again to wear.  When we moved to a new (old) house in 2003 a clear opportunity arose to display a few of the aprons - as curtains in our dining room.  I used the clip-on rings and hung them from a tension rod, so no sewing was required, and no aprons were harmed in any way.  I can change them out if I like, but the ones in the photos are my favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment